Curbside pickup now available, including ordering items from other libraries via the catalog.
Per the executive order from Governor Walz, the Red Wing Public Library closed completely at 5:00pm on Friday, March 27 and will remain closed until at least Monday, May 18. At this time, some staff will be in the building weekdays between 9:00am and 5:00pm, and the book drop is open 24/7. All due dates will be postponed until we open again and patrons will not be charged any late fines during the time we are closed. If you need assistance with downloading eBooks to a Kindle, or have other questions for us, we will be responding to phone messages between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, for the duration of our closure. We strongly encourage the community to monitor our Facebook page and our website because it is continuously being updated with new content and information. For those of you looking for things to read, listen to and watch while we are closed – don’t worry! You can still get eBooks and eAudiobooks from us, as well as streaming video, all available from our website.
You’ll find the most current information about library services on this page. We’ll update the page as more information becomes available.
Last updated monday May 4, 1:25 P.M.
Library Resources Available From Home
Remember that the library is here for you, even throughout the closure.
*NEW* Our library consortium has enabled Overdrive’s Instant Digital Card (“IDC”). Now, as long as you live in our service area, you can get an IDC and start checking out eBooks and eAudiobooks instantly without having to come to our (currently closed) building. All you need to get started is a mobile phone.
- Borrow eBooks and downloadable audiobooks.
- Watch streaming video or The Great Courses from Kanopy.
- Learn a language.
- Ask us for help over the phone or by email. During the shelter at home period ordered by Governor Walz, we will be checking voicemail messages left remotely and will answer as we are able. Voicemail will be monitored Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
During this crisis, many publishers and providers are making their resources freely available for students and parents. Megan has put together a list of some great ones.
Managing Your Library Account During the Closure
Due dates for physical materials
- Due dates for all physical materials have been extended. No items will be due before we re-open.
Fines during the closure
- No new fines will accrue during the closure, because due dates for all physical materials have been extended.
- Previously assessed fines will still be on your account, but please talk to us about your fines – we’ll be ready to help.
Holds that are ready for pickup
- Holds on items that are owned by the Red Wing Public Library and that are listed as ready for pick-up at your library will be held there until at least a week after we re-open.
Placing new holds
- At this time, you can continue to place library materials on hold. Existing limits still apply.
- You will not receive notices about holds during the closure.
- Once libraries reopen, holds will remain available for pickup for at least one week.
- As of Friday, March 27, at 5:00 PM, the book drop will be closed. We ask that all patrons please continue to keep any items still checked out with you at home until we re-open the book drop and/or the library.
- Due dates for all physical materials have been extended. No items are due before we re-open, and no new fines or fees will be assessed.
Additional Details About Reduced Library Services
- Library events remain canceled until we re-open. Since we do not know at this time how long the closure will extend, information about upcoming library events will be updated as it becomes available.
- Meeting and conference room reservations remain canceled with no new reservations allowed at this time.