Per the executive order from Governor Walz, the Red Wing Public Library closed completely at 5:00pm on Friday, March 27. We have begun our phased reopening and now offer curbside pickup, browsing appointments and computer/copier appointments. At this time, staff will be in the building weekdays between 9:00am and 5:00pm, Saturdays between 10am and noon, and the book drop is open 24/7. All due dates for our items will be postponed until we open again and patrons will not be charged any late fees during the time we are closed if the books are returned to our library. Please note that other libraries in the SELCO region are beginning to open, and their items may become due during the time we are closed. Again, if you return them here while we are closed you will not be charged any late fees. If you need assistance with downloading eBooks to a Kindle, or have other questions for us, we will be answering phones between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, for the duration of our closure. We strongly encourage the community to monitor our Facebook page and our website because it is continuously being updated with new content and information. For those of you looking for things to read, listen to and watch while we are closed – don’t worry! You can still get eBooks and eAudiobooks from us, as well as streaming video, all available from our website. Ordering items from most other libraries in the SELCO region via the catalog is available but ordering out of region items via MNLink is not currently possible.
You’ll find the most current information about library services on this page. We’ll update the page as more information becomes available.
Last updated Monday July 13, 9:50 A.M.
Visiting the library
If you come to the library for a browsing or computer appointment, please note that per City of Red Wing policy, a cloth face mask is required for all visitors age 2 and above.
Library Resources Available From Home
Remember that the library is here for you, even though not fully open yet.
*NEW* Our library consortium has enabled Overdrive’s Instant Digital Card (“IDC”). Now, as long as you live in our service area, you can get an IDC and start checking out eBooks and eAudiobooks instantly without having to come to our building. All you need to get started is a mobile phone.
- Borrow eBooks and downloadable audiobooks.
- Watch streaming video or The Great Courses from Kanopy.
- Learn a language.
During this crisis, many publishers and providers are making their resources freely available for students and parents. Megan has put together some very helpful lists:
Managing Your Library Account During the Full & Partial Closure
Due dates for physical materials
- SELCO has made changes to due dates that result, in general, items checking out for longer than our usual 2 weeks. You may receive overdue notices if items become overdue but if you return items here they will be checked in as if you returned them the day before we closed (March 27, 2020). Please note that we are quarantining items for 3 days before checking them in so you may see items checked out to you that you know you returned several days earlier. We regret the confusion and ask for your patience as we work though COVID related issues.
Fines during the closure
- As described above, if you return items here they will be checked in as if you returned them the day before we closed (March 27, 2020).
- Previously assessed fines will still be on your account, but please talk to us about your fines – we’ll be ready to help.
Holds that are ready for pickup
- In general, we will be calling you to arrange for pickup of holds via curbside delivery, though you may occasionally receive a hold notice. If you do receive a email or text hold notice, please call us to set up an appointment to pick up your materials.
- You are welcome to schedule a browsing appointment and pick up holds during the appointment.
Placing new holds
- At this time, you can continue to place library materials on hold. Existing limits still apply.
- As described above, you will generally not receive notices about holds during the closure.
- While you can request items from most SELCO libraries, placing holds via MNLink remains unavailable.
- The book drop is open 24/7. Please only return items there. Please do not return books inside the library and do not leave items on the curbside delivery table.
Additional Details About Reduced Library Services
- Library events remain canceled until we fully re-open. Since we do not know at this time how long the closure will extend, information about upcoming library events will be updated as it becomes available.
- Meeting and conference room reservations remain canceled with no new reservations allowed at this time.