Beginning Wednesday, March 17, we are unlocking the doors!
- No browsing appointments needed on Wednesday through Saturday. Hours are Wednesday 10-5, Thursday 10-6, Friday 10-5 and Saturday 10-1.
- You will still need a mask and we are limiting visits to 30 minutes per day.
- You will need an appointment, and the doors will be locked, on Mondays and Tuesdays for both browsing and computer use – we are limiting the number of people in the building those days to better serve our patrons at higher risk from COVID.
- Because the number of computers will still be limited, we recommend continuing to make appointments for PC use on Wednesday through Saturday.
- Curbside pickup will continue to be available
Per the executive order from Governor Walz, the Red Wing Public Library closed completely at 5:00pm on Friday, March 27. We have begun our phased reopening and now offer curbside pickup, browsing and computer/copier appointments. At this time, staff will be in the building weekdays between 9:00am and 5:00pm (9-6 on Tuesdays & Thursdays), Saturdays between 10am and 1pm, and the book drop is open 24/7. Red Wing Public Library no longer charges overdue fees to its patrons on any of our materials. Please note that other libraries in the SELCO region set their own rules and may charge late fees. Normal fees still apply for books that are lost or damaged. If you need assistance with downloading eBooks to a Kindle, or have other questions for us, we will be answering phones weekdays between 9:00am and 5:00pm (9-6 on Tuesdays & Thursdays and 10-1 on Saturdays), for the duration of our closure. We strongly encourage the community to monitor our Facebook page and our website because you will find the latest information there.
You’ll find the most current information about library services on this page. We’ll update the page as more information becomes available.
Last updated Tuesday March 16, 2021 11:40 A.M.
Visiting the library
If you come to the library for a browsing or computer appointment, please note that per City of Red Wing policy, a cloth face mask is required for all visitors age 2 and above.
Library Resources Available From Home
Remember that the library is here for you, even though not fully open yet.
*NEW* Our library consortium has enabled Overdrive’s Instant Digital Card (“IDC”). Now, as long as you live in our service area, you can get an IDC and start checking out eBooks and eAudiobooks instantly without having to come to our building. All you need to get started is a mobile phone.
- Borrow eBooks and downloadable audiobooks.
- Watch streaming video or The Great Courses from Kanopy.
- Learn a language.
During this crisis, many publishers and providers are making their resources freely available for students and parents. Megan has put together some very helpful lists:
Managing Your Library Account During the Full & Partial Closure
Due dates for physical materials
- SELCO has made changes to due dates that result, in general, items checking out for longer than our usual 2 weeks. You may receive overdue notices if items become overdue but if you return items here they will be checked in as if you returned them the day before we closed (March 27, 2020). We ask for your patience as we work though COVID related issues.
Fines during the closure
- We no longer charge fines on our items, but if you get items from other libraries, their rules control and thus late fees may be assessed
Holds that are ready for pickup
- In general, you will receive your hold notices via email or text, though if necessary we will call. Once you receive the hold notice, you can come to the library any time during our curbside hours (Monday 7:30-5, Tuesday 9-6; Wednesday 9-5; Thursday 9-6; Friday 9-5 and Saturday 10-1) and call us (651-380-3348) when you arrive. We will bring your items out to your car. You do NOT need to make an appointment.
- You are welcome to come in to the library Wednesday through Saturday to pick up holds (no appointment necessary). If you wish to come in to the library on a Monday or Tuesday you must schedule a browsing appointment.
Placing new holds
- At this time, you can continue to place library materials on hold. Existing limits still apply.
- While you can request items from most SELCO libraries, placing holds via MNLink remains limited and delivery may be delayed.
- The book drop is open 24/7. Please only return items there. Please do not return books inside the library and do not leave items on the curbside delivery table.
Additional Details About Reduced Library Services
- Library events remain canceled until we fully re-open. Since we do not know at this time how long the closure will extend, information about upcoming library events will be updated as it becomes available.
- Meeting and conference room reservations remain canceled with no new reservations allowed at this time.