1. Please read about who qualifies for free library checkout and in library Internet service
3. Select a piece of acceptable current identification.
4. If you have used the online form, please bring current identification in person to the Red Wing Public Library service desk and we’ll have your card waiting for you. Otherwise, please bring the completed print application and current identification in person to the Red Wing Public Library service desk. The Library does not accept mailed applications.
5. If you are not a Minnesota resident, see information on Non-resident Cards
For more information, contact the Service Desk: (651) 385-3673, v/tdd.
Who qualifies for free library checkout and in library Internet service?
Minnesota residents or anyone who owns or rents property in Minnesota may receive a free library card. People who live in Minnesota but outside the SELCO region are requested to provide a valid library card from the county or city of residence. Minors (less than 18 years old) require parent or guardian information as given.
To register for a library card you will need a photo ID (drivers license, state ID card or passport) with your current address. If you do not have such an ID you will need to provide your social security number along with one of the following as proof of current address:
- Checkbook with address
- Postmarked bill or letter
- Rental or lease agreement or receipt
- Property tax statement
If you do not quality for a free library card, you may purchase a non-resident card.
- One-year card: $40.00
- Six-month card: $20.00
- Three-month card: $10.00
For the convenience of tourists and visitors to the area, the library also offers the following temporary cards, available upon request:
- A free one-day courtesy Internet card
- One month card: $5.00